Table of Contents - A handy way to check out my articles by topic
My most recent Guides:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You can reach me at: powerscorerpg@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Dungeons & Dragons - Encounters in Avernus Review

    Now that I have gone through Descent into Avernus in great detail, I'm going to look at some of the products linked to it on the DMs Guild. Let's see if we can find some stuff worth adding into our Avernus games!
    Today, I'm going to check out Encounters in Avernus. Now, if I know you - and I don't - I bet you're wondering what exactly is in this book. Well, let me tell you: It has encounters set in the first layer of the Nine Hells, also known as Avernus!

    The one thing I notice on my initial glance is that they used art from the main book, including pieces that were IMO somewhat hampered by the two page spread. Check this one out:

    Better, right?

    Random Charts: This book makes generous use of random charts. I love random charts. I would say that in many instances, the best use of the charts that determine the makeup of an encounter, that you go through them beforehand and pick your favorite. Rolling at the table while you are running your session might lead to some hiccups. At least, it would for me.

    Chapter 1: Avernus Encounters

    We start off with a devil name list, which is very handy.

    Here are some of my favorite encounters in this chapter, just to give you an idea of what's in this book:
    • Weather: There is a random weather chart. My favorite result is "Stygian Humidity", where "the waters of the River Styx permeate the air itself."
    • Bone Piles: A chart of items you could find in Avernus. It includes some of the new magic items listed in appendix b of this book.
    • Wreck: A wrecked war machine... "The previous rider of this war machine shoved a whole quasit into the machine's intake valve...." If the group fixes it up, the machine has a special boon and bane.
    • Avernus Chase Complications: A horde of fiends is chasing you. Roll on the chase chart. This one is fantastic!
    • "Soul Canon": A wrecked war machine with a special "soul canon". These are tremendous!
    • Knight: A knight of Elturel hunting down a traitor.
    I 100% love this so far. These encounters are very concise, and many of them are very much worth using. There's actually more stuff in this chapter that I like aside from what I listed, but I think this is a good sample.

    If I had a complaint, I'd say that a few entries could use more specific numbers. For example, one entry mentions "a group of nupperibos" are in the group's way. I'd prefer it if the entry said "3d4 nupperibos". Even though I hate rolling d4s.

    In one encounter, the group can come across a prisoner. There's a quick chart listing types of creatures that could be the prisoner in question. I think it would have helped to give the creature a name and a few words describing its personality.

    Chapter 2: River Styx Encounters


    The River Styx! Who doesn't love the River Styx? Let's see what we've got:
    • Angel: An angel spying on the Blood War, ordered not to intervene. You could do tons with this.
    • Familiar Gnomes: Two gnomes riding around in a bulette/war machine with the same last name as one of the best-named gnomes in Dragon Heist: Cockaby Fapplestamp.
    • Hag Barge: This is one that I wish got more space. A hag that is selling contraband! I'd like it if her actual hut was on the barge.  
    • Assassin: Her memory is wiped and she has a tattoo of a labyrinth on her back! 
    • "Soul Shower": "A huge number of screaming, translucent, humanoids shower down from the sky into the River Styx." This one is great.
    One interesting encounter in this chapter involves a potion maker that is using water of the River Styx to make magic potions. The water of the River Styx normally steals your memories.

    As far as I can tell, these potions function normally. I think there should definitely be come sort of added effect - maybe a memory boost/memory/replacement (perhaps "taken" from the remnants of a soul in the river), or an infernal additional effect or something.

    Another very good chapter!

    Chapter 3: Elturel Encounters


    Elturel is the city that has been pulled into the Nine Hells. In the book, the group has to make their way through the city to get to the main palace.

    A lot of these encounters are either simple traps set by the devils to lure the group near, or citizens struggling to survive - a building on fire, a few knights fighting a losing battle, that kind of thing. Here's some encounters of note:
    • Bridge: An NPC has created an "invisible bridge" that the group can use to cross the gap in the city.
    • Keeper of the Keys: A chain devil sells keys. I really, really wish that a random chart was included with this one! Great idea.
    • Skeleton Bonfire: Awesome. The skeletons get up and attack!
    There is one encounter involving a spellcaster looking for her missing imp. I'm not sure why the group would stop everything to scour the city for a random imp. It could be amusing for the group to find the imp in some ridiculous predicament 10 sessions from this one.

    I am noticing that, in general, 5e is a bit soft on the "rules of Hell". I think that is a good thing. In older books, there were very clearly defined rules on what happened to souls that appeared on Avernus. It was stated pretty clearly in older editions was that devils have no memory of their mortal lives.

    In this book, there's a least one instance of a devil remembering its mortal life. I prefer this.

    A devil remembering its time as a mortal can lead to a lot of cool things. A memorable mortal villain that the group faced and killed could come back in devil form!

    Chapter 4: Encounter Chains

    This chapter contains two longer strings of encounters linked to one another.

    Tiamat: The first storylinr involves Tiamat, and one of the smaller sections of this I believe references one of the bad guys from Tyranny of Dragons. There is a very cool part to it where the group needs to bring a golden heart to the demon zapper from the main adventure.

    Serpent: The other storyline involves a couatl that was allied with Zariel when she was an angel. It's a bit of a twisty story.

    Appendix B: Magic Items

    After a pile of stat blocks in appendix a, we get 5 new magic items.

    I think my favorite is the poppet - a doll linked to a specific individual. You can use the poppet in rituals to cause the person excruciating pain.

    Overall

    Is this worth buying? Of course! It's $6! A no brainer, if you ask me.

    Descent into Avernus is already full of good encounters that are set in the first layer of the Nine Hells, but this book is full of slightly smaller events that should make the campaign feel more full. It will definitely add to your campaign in a positive way, so you should check it out.

    No comments: