Table of Contents - A handy way to check out my articles by topic
My most recent Guides:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You can reach me at: powerscorerpg@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Dice, Camera, Action Puppet Show

You can watch this show here.

Since it is Halloween and the group isn't playing this week, Chris Perkins decided to recap the entire show... in sock puppet form. It has a sort of "Unabomber" feeling to it, as if Chris has been locked in that room for way too long. I found it to be utterly hilarious.

I'm not sure how to recap a recap, so I'll just tell you about the things that stuck out. This show is only 30 minutes long, so it's pretty painless to sample if you're not sure about it. take you a lot of time to watch it.

Chris does a great Evelyn voice, very hilarious. Her puppet has this glittery foil as hair, very amusing.

At first it looked like Chris was changing socks really fast, then I realized that this is taped and edited. You can see the top of Chris's head most of the time. Chris did prepare a lot of props for this, intentionally making most of them craptastic, which makes it funnier.

He does a Dee impression, which kills me! You haven't lived until you've seen puppet Evelyn maniacally hug Strix.

Then comes one of the highlights of the show. Remember when Diath got hung?

Good lord.

Puppet Strahd emerges from behind the couch. He has a red cape and sort of sings his own theme song. Then he starts making out with Paultin, and Paultin points out that that never happened. Clearly Strahd couldn't contain himself.

There are a lot of retakes kept into the show. As things progress, it becomes apparent that Chris is running the puppets as if they really are the characters, and that they are acting out the scenes from the show. Evelyn can't remember her lines and curses up a storm.

"We met a bunch of wereravens at a winery." Chris starts waggling around a raven doll and goes "Ca caw, ca caw." I died.

Now Paultin and Evelyn are making out. Chris slips himself a dagger. It's true, the Tome of Strahd was not helpful at all.

The group has never liked Van Richten, but I don't think I've ever heard them call him "Van Rectum" until now.

More Dee! Poor Dee. She says, "Oi! I'm still alive!" We just got ourselves a scoop! Mayhaps we will see Dee again some day.

I think that this show needs some soft, quiet background music. The utter silence in which Chris performs in is a bit unsettling.

The Mordenkainen voice Chris does is fantastic.


Chris declares that "fan-fic Drizz't" showed up and helped the group kill a bunch of werewolves. He points out that there isn't a lot of story going on in this season so far. This guy is killing me.

The giant eagle.. I'm dying

We get tot he part where Harshnag falls to his death. Chris represents this by throwing a sock.

Chris bursts out laughing when he has Strix growl at Evelyn.

Hey... When Paultin saved Evelyn, Chris explicitly says that the Raven Queen gave him the undead hand. We are getting some big nuggets on this show!

Diath wants the sword prop... it looks like a pencil. No.. it's a tiny broom!

Chris spends quite a bit of time roasting his own ideas. He points out the absurdity of how destroying Paultin's shadow sent them back in time somehow.

Sir Godfrey is a skeleton action figure. He can't remember his lines. We get a few bonus clips, one involving Strix Blair Witch-style.

Overall


I thought this was absolutely hilarious. Is it a good recap? I guess so, I'd have to ask someone not familiar with the show. I think that new viewers would at the very least get a feeling for what the characters are like.

They should do this at the end of every season and let fans mail in props. Painted backdrops, puppets, etc. They'd probably end up with way more stuff than they could use.

I love people that don't take themselves too seriously, so I really enjoyed the tone of this. I think a copy of this should be placed in a time capsule so that future humans can try to puzzle it out.

No comments: