Table of Contents - A handy way to check out my articles by topic
My most recent Guides:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You can reach me at: powerscorerpg@gmail.com

Saturday, December 11, 2021

Dungeons & Dragons - The Witchlight Carnival Dice and Miscellany Set

 


You can buy this dice set right here.

You can buy The Wild Beyond the Witchlight right here

Today we're going to take a look at the new dice set, which is linked to the Feywild-themed adventure The Wild Beyond the Witchlight. 

I decided to look at the other dice sets real quick as a comparison and poked around online to see which sets are liked the best. Two things stuck out to me:

  1. The Descent Into Avernus set is actually somewhat hard to find, now (It's going for around $50 on ebay currently). Looking back, I'd say it's definitely the coolest set they've put out so far.
  2. Laeral Silverhand's Explorer Kit dice set is $14.99 on amazon! The thing I like most about that set is that the d20's are larger. I sort of feel like I should poke around and see what D&D products are dirt cheap right now on Amazon.

So! Here's what you get in this set:

  • Box with felt interior
  • Orange and blue dice, complete set plus 1 additional d20 and 3 additional d6's.
  • Small poster map of the carnival (carnival art on the flip side). Is slightly larger than a normal Dunder-Mifflin-sized piece of paper.
  • 20 Cards, most of which detail NPCs from the adventure or carnival games.

The retail price on this is $29.99. My first instinct is that these things are just too expensive, especially when you can get a set of dice in the $20 Essentials Kit or the Starter Set. 

Here's another thing to ponder. Part of the appeal of these dice sets, to me, is that if I'm running the adventure live and in person with my group, I can bust this out and make things real "official." I can show the group that we are doing this thing all the way.

But how many people are playing online, whether on roll20 or zoom? They're not even going to see it, right? 

The Dice Set

The Box: The actual box is great. It is a little odd that the bottom part has a black design while the top has a bright orange foil design. The felt interior is really nice. You can soothe your troubled spirit by slowly running your finger across the softness, even if just for a moment.

The Dice: In general, I don't like glossy dice because they roll forever. I know you can roll them in the box, but it still feels wrong to me. I still haven't recovered from all those kids rolling their dice right off the table when I ran games at the game store.

These dice are glossy, but not as much as sets in years past. For example, the red dice in the Essentials Kit are so slippery. I'd never touch them, I swear it. They are the sloppiest wandering dice I've ever encountered. In comparison, these are better.

I do wish they'd have made the d20's larger than the other dice though. Bigger d20's with some heft are easier to roll, and everyone at the table can clearly see what the result is.

The Poster Map

by Stacey Allen and Will Doyle
We get a map of the carnival. Looks good, seems useful. In fact, if I was running this, I'd probably want each player to have one of these. The actual adventure actually comes with a HUGE version of this same map, so you could slap the huge one on the table for the group to use (and hopefully not spill drinks on) while you can use this smaller one for your own personal reference behind the DM screen.

In the book's poster map, the other side has a map of the domain of Prismeer. In this dice set, the other side has art- a scene from the carnival. I'm a little torn on whether I'd prefer the Prismeer map here. On the one hand, the group could use the Prismeer map. But! Overland travel isn't a constant.. you could go sessions without referring to the Prismeer map, and when you do use it, it would likely only be for 10 minutes.

The art really goes a long way in helping the group imagine what it's actually like to be at the carnival. It looks cool and I love the style. This could go quite a long way when it comes to immersion.

The Cards

Let's take a look at these.

Game Cards: 6 of the cards feature different games at the carnival. One side has art, the other side has the game - brief explanations of the game and how to win. I really appreciate the brevity, makes it very easy to understand and run. 

You could hand the card to a player partaking in the game. The one thing that gave me pause is that the DC is right there on the card. Gave me flashbacks to a certain dude in high school who would almost certainly do the old "roll, declare the result, and then scoop up the die before anyone could verify the result" maneuver. But then, if you have a player in your group who does this kind of thing, you have a whole other set of problems to worry about, anyway.

NPC Cards: These 12 cards make up the bulk of the set. The cards don't have stats, they contain descriptions of each individual. These seem like good props to hand to the group as they encounter the various creatures.

The one that sticks out the most is the displacer beast named Dirlagraun. Looks really cool, has a plot hook (missing kitten), I like it a lot (I also wrote a guide to displacer beasts a while back). 

Carnival Prizes: One single card lists trinkets on one side, and the rules of the carnival on the other.

  • Favorite Trinket: "Flask of glowworms that change color to reflect the mood of the flask's holder."
  • Favorite Carnival Prize: "Bottle of Witchlight Wine. The bottle plays calliope music whenever it's uncorked and there is liquid inside."

Survey: The last card invited us to take a survey to let them know what we think of the dice set.

Overall

I like this set. I guess it's not necessary to own, but if you're going to run The Wild Beyond the Witchlight or if you want a cool dice set for your games, this is a no-brainer.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Air Purifiers
Vacuum Cleaners

Anonymous said...

The brand "Supertuff.pk" with various gathering units the country over, happily claims to be the greatest creator/supplier of Plastic Water Storage Tanks, Supertuff water amassing plans ensure the best assumptions for neatness at a reasonable cost. The Supertuff, a headway that offers a side sewer vent

Trash Can
polykart

Shams Malik said...

Our Web Hosting Provides a Vast Array Of Tools To Take Your Idea or Business Online Today. Choose Your Web Hosting Plan As Per Your Business Requirement & Take Your Business Online. Unmetered Disk Space. Unmetered Bandwidth. Free Website Templates.

hostings
domain hosting

Oros CBD Gummies said...

Also, be sure to speak to your doctor and get a check up especially if you have any underlying health problems. Calisthenics is better than weights or weight machines because of how ‘ready to do’ they are. You do not need to spend money on equipment or a trainer to do a simple bodyweight routine. With a good internet connection, you can easily create a list of videos to stream for multiple calisthenics exercises to do in your living room.

https://www.offerplox.com/oros-cbd-gummies/

https://www.offerplox.com/x-melt-keto/
https://www.offerplox.com/regal-keto-reviews/
https://www.offerplox.com/apple-keto-gummies-au/
https://www.supplementz.org/ultra-proven/
https://www.supplementz.org/le-regime-keto-avis/

Shams Malik said...

Samsung galaxy a23 price in Nigeria

Marry James said...

Marry James is a nutritionist with 15+ years of experience. Marry is also associated with MyAssignmenthelp.com, where he regularly helps students write their thesis statements. In addition, Mitchel also likes to read and has read more than 100 books now.
Essay Editing Service
Persuasive Essay Help
Scholarship Essays Help
Write My Research Paper

Shams Malik said...

Expressions of remorse, Dude, but you are dead, dead, dead misguided. Assume you're a Syrian craftsman and you turn out to be in the USA and you sing a song about Bashar and the framework and how good it is have a democratic government in Syria. Besides the next day, lo and notice, framework convicts visit your people and compromise them and trash their home.

list of states in alphabetical order

homework helper said...

Our experts have excellent knowledge and a serious of skill sets in diverse academic subjects. If you are looking for thesis writing services in Australia

Internet Homes Services said...

Get Technical Help from Internet Homes to get easy access to online technical guide to solve all of your technical issues. Browse the website of internethomes to get support from experts for free of cost.
Broadband light blinking red Att
Change NAT Type on AT&T Hotspot
Why Is My ATT Wi-Fi So Slow
How To Reset ATT Router

British Dissertation Help said...

Obtain MBA Dissertation Help from the experts and achieve your academic goals. From writing the lengthy and challenging task to proofreading the content, they will do everything for you. Custom-made solutions, unlimited free edits and 24*7 online availability, reasonable price rates are other benefits of hiring them.

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone,
I will tell you a secret of getting rich on bitcoin investment “a wise person should have money in their head , but not in the heart.. Everyday is a day of new decisions. Its your choice to be rich or to be poor & keep struggling, start making larger funds in 72 hours with a legit & pro trader like me,Investment plans are open now with a minimum investment of $200 you can earn $2000 in 72 hours.

Invest $200 earn $2,000
Invest $500 earn $5,000
Invest $700 earn $7,000
Invest $1,000 earn $10,000
Invest $2,000 earn $20,000
Invest $5,000 earn $50,000
Invest $7,000 earn $70,000
Do not miss this clear opportunity to achieve your financial freedom, those who are not ready to invest now are not ready to retire early, do not depend on a single source of income, let us trade for you today and start making profit for you. Kindly contact us Via WhatsApp: +1(252)285-2093 Email : andersoncarlassettrade@gmail.com

marry said...

Your blog contains some excellent content. Your blog's content as well as its appearance piqued my interest. In every way, this is, in my opinion, the ideal blog. Check out this article Check How Fast You Can Click In 5 Seconds if you're looking for more new information on such a fantastic blog. Make the most of this game in order to improve your gaming skills. You will achieve excellent results if you put forth your best effort in this game.

Flores Morales said...

Hello folks, I want to share my story of how I met Dr Amber who helped me win the lottery. Before I met him, life was hard for me. I love playing the lottery but I lost all my money to it. I became suicidal because I owe the bank lots of money. So, I went on the internet about how I can win the lottery and I got good advocacy about Dr Amber and his work. I got in touch with him and I told him what I’ve been through and he assured me that he will help me. I was a bit scared but I said ok. Dr Amber made a spell for me that cost me some money to get it done and I was given some accurate digits by him to play the lottery on my next game which I did as instructed by him. I was astonished when I got announced as the winner of $109 million dollars on the Mega Millions Lottery I played. I am grateful to Dr Amber for Indeed, he deserves the hype he gets from people. You can email him or visit his webpage on how to get yours done. Email: amberlottotemple@gmail.com or visit: amberlottotemple.com