Table of Contents - A handy way to check out my articles by topic
My most recent Guides:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You can reach me at: powerscorerpg@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden Promotional Materials

 

I got a big old box in the mail today from Wizards of the Coast. In it was piles of stuff linked to the new adventure: Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden.

In this post, we'll take a quick look at all of the cool ancillary stuff. In the past, they've sent me some neat little things when new adventures came out, but never anything like this! The flyer puts it like this:

"We're also providing some promotional items you can use to flavor your Icewind Dale games including notebooks with the alt cover art by Hydro74, a dice bag themed for Icewind Dale filled with 11 dice, a light scarf featuring a map of Icewind Dale and a couple Pop Sockets to display your D&D cred on your smartphone. Feel free to use these items or give them away to your readers!"

I'll discuss the dice box and the adventure in separate posts.

Notebooks


 These are thick spiral-bound notebooks full of.. wait for it... graph paper!


To me, these are extremely handy. How many of you still use a pencil and paper? Do most of you DM with a laptop now? 

I think these are especially cool for kids in school. I would have died to own these when I was in high school. I got in-school suspension one time, and I loved it (to the point that I seriously thought about pulling the fire alarm so I could get in trouble again and go back there the next day). These would have made that day even better.

Icewind Dale Scarf

Your outfit isn't complete without this sleek, thin and breezy scarf emblazoned with the map of Icewind Dale. Yes, "Dougan's Hole" is placed in a prominent location on this stylish garment for those of you looking to show off just a bit of sass.

This thing is really light and huge. I mean... really huge. It's got to be about 1 foot wide and 4-5 feet long. I can't really do it justice with a photo. I actually thought it was a shirt when I first opened the box. This thing is crazy.

Promo Dice Bag and Dice

So get a load of this. This box already included the dice box. But on top of that, they sent a separate dice bag and dice! The bag is nice and big enough to hold your game-tested assortment, your regular rollers and your special situation d20's such as Goldie, the Die That Always Rolls 20's that my friend Barry had.

This is where it became clear to me that they are not messing around with this release. They are giving us dice on top of dice. It's sort of like in Aliens when Ripley wants to nuke the site from orbit.

D&D Pop Sockets


They sent two of these little guys, that you can stick on your phone. Very nice. I like the white and blue!

That's just the side stuff. Stay tuned for a review of the dice box and then I'll roll up my sleeves and make a Guide to Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden.

2 comments:

KKRP said...

I love drawing maps, so graph paper is always appreciated, even if 100% of my RPG playing in the past 5 or so years has been online.

Rikel Wirkkunen said...

You wouldn’t happen to be willing to sell the dice and bag from the promo kit? (Or know someone who is) I won a promo kit in a charity auction but it didn’t have the dice or bag and that was the whole reason I bid on it lol.